Cities and towns in Washington could soon have the freedom to choose better elections, thanks to bills filed in our legislature. HB 1722 and SB 5708 offer local jurisdictions the option to use ranked choice voting (RCV) for elections.
RCV is engaging voters and invigorating democracy in the 22 cities and counties around the U.S. that have already adopted it for their elections. Under this bill, Washington communities will be able to enjoy these benefits, too.
But without an immediate response from RCV supporters around the state, the Local Options bill is at risk of dying in committee.
Please contact your three state legislators RIGHT NOW, to urge their support for advancing the Local Options Bill.
It’s simple and quick:
- Click on this link to either bill (doesn’t matter which one): HB 1722 or SB 5708.
- Next, click on the dark green “Comment on this bill” button, at the top right of the page.
- Fill in your address.
- Click on the light green button, “Verify District”
- Select all three of your legislators.
- Click “Yes” if you would like a response.
- Enter your contact information.
- Click on “Support” to indicate your Position.
- In the comment field, please express your view in your own words. Urge your legislators to ensure that the bill advances out of committee before February 22nd. Say why you think it’s important to allow local jurisdictions in our state to be able to use ranked choice voting i.e. giving voters more choices and decreasing negative campaigning.
What exactly does the Local Options Bill do?
It allows local jurisdictions to opt out of state-mandated primary elections in favor of a general election conducted using ranked choice voting. Alternatively, jurisdictions can keep the primary, but use a “top five” rather than a “top two” primary (with both elections conducted under ranked choice voting.)
How can I learn more?
What more can I do to help?
- Spread the word! Encourage your friends and family to contact their legislators too.
- Go to the FairVote WA website to learn how you can Get Involved with the growing movement to bring ranked choice voting to Washington state!
Thank you for contacting your three legislators TODAY!