Media & Democracy: Time for a Reset
Join us for a special panel discussion on Media & Democracy.
Register here: https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_JXDX3ITIQe-_rbw91JXHzw
We’ll explore & examine the questions:
• What role does the media play in democracy and why does democracy need media?
• How did we get here?
• What does a pro-democracy media look like?
• What can people do to bring about or encourage
change in the system?
Panel will include Media Experts:
• Dr. John S. Caputo is the Professor Emeritus & Walter Ong, S.J. Scholar & founder of the Master’s Program in Communication and Leadership Studies at Gonzaga University. He is the founding member of the Northwest Alliance for Responsible Media.
• Dr Denis Muller is a journalist, broadcaster and academic. He worked as a newspaper journalist for 27 years and is currently a weekly commentator on media issues for the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
• Dr. Carolyn Cunningham is an Associate Professor of Communication and Leadership Studies at Gonzaga University. She researches areas including girls and video games, women and leadership, and media literacy. She is currently working on a book project related to girls and climate change activism.
And she co-directs the media literacy center at Gonzaga (NWARM).
• Sandra Williams is an activist, lecturer, filmmaker, and entrepreneur, with an extensive background addressing issues of discrimination, equity, and social justice. She is the Publsiher and Editor of The Black Lens, an independent community publication, based in Spokane.
• Frank W. Baker, is a media literacy education trainer. In 2019, he was a recipient of a UNESCO Global Media & Information Literacy award for his lifelong work in media literacy. He operates the Media Literacy Clearinghouse resource website.
• The Northwest Alliance for Responsible Media at Gonzaga University, School of Leadership Studies
• NW Center for Media Literacy, College of Education, University of Washington
• Fix Democracy First